Since people seem so interested in my Stereotype Saturday posts I wondered if people would like if I turned it into a meme that we can all get into. In order to do that I’ll release the stereotypes in advance and then we can all post about it on the same day and discuss. I’d use a link manager so we can all join in and share our posts more easily. Or should I keep it just on my blog?
I think Stereotypes are fascinating because you see the same ones across some many different medias – TV, Movies, Games, Books, etc – and I love to see what other people think of the Stereotypes and what examples they come up with. But I don’t know if enough people like it to make it worthwhile to try.
So let me know what you think of the idea, and if you’d be interested in participating. Just so you have a better idea of what I’m talking about, check out the Stereotype Saturday tag on my blog.
The schedule for what I’ll be posting over the next few weeks is as follows (I’ve added explanations where I thought they were needed, but if I need more clarity let me know):
- April 16: Breaking the Fourth Wall
- April 23: Prom
- It being ‘life changing’
- The types of people you see at prom
- April 30: Alien Invaders
- May 7: Kidnapped by a dragon or goes willingly
- May 14: Damsel in Distress / Dude in Distress
- May 21: Anti-Hero
- May 28: Supercool Name
- A lot of super heroes and Sci-Fi characters fall into this: Negasonic Teenage Warhead, Maximum Ride, Superman, etc
- June 4: Horrible In-Laws and Step-Relations
- June 11: Shoot the Messenger / Don’t Shoot the Messenger
- June 18: The Enemy of my Enemy is My Friend
- Unlikely team ups to defeat a common enemy
- June 25: Youngest Child is the Best
- 7th child of a 7th child, the youngest will go far, etc
- July 2: Misery Poker / My Life is Worse than Yours
- July 9: Longcoat / Cape / Dramatically Flowing Clothing
- July 16: Huge Guy, Tiny Girl or Huge Girl, Tiny Guy
- July 23: Too Perfect Hero
- July 30: Sour Supporter
- Just there because someone else made them be there
- August 6: Rags to Riches
Okay I went a bit over the top with making a three-month long list, but I had a lot of fun. If there’s a stereotype you’d like to see discussed and its not on the list or something on the list needs more clarity let me know!